White lasagna soup with Italian sausage. Perfectly warming and cozy, this creamy lasagna soup is the must make comfort food. Easy to prepare and next level delicious! It’s rich, creamy and packed with tender sausage, mushrooms and lots of cheese. This will instantly become a new crowd pleaser.
Lasagna can be so time-consuming to prepare, but this soup is the solution to having lasagna on a weeknight. It’s richly flavored, made with cheddar cheese and Italian sausage, which brings so much flavor to this soup and doesn’t require hours of simmering to build up flavor. In other words you’ll get plenty of rich and creamy flavor in every spoon.
This recipe is different than the traditional lasagna, it calls for Italian sausage, uses less lasagna noodles, cream and mushrooms. It comes together in 30 minutes, gives you the silky noodles we all love in a lasagna, and is thickened with cheddar and Parmesan cheese. The best part is that it’s a soup version of a pasta dish I just can’t get enough of.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
It’s an easy soup that’s perfect for a busy day. And there are a lot of ways to adapt the recipe and use up what you’ve got on hand.
THESE ARE THE SIMPLE STEPS
This soup is so easy and so delicious, you’ll crave it all year long. To make it, we start by searing the mushrooms. Then add the seasoning and aromatics, finally brown the sausage. Layering is a crucial step to unlock as much flavor as possible. Next we pour in the broth, cream and Parmesan, then add the broken lasagna noodles and let everything simmer until the noodles are al dente. As a final step, we stir in the cheddar cheese. Serve the soup immediately and top it off with cracked black pepper. And that’s it!
Just a few steps and some easy ingredients is all you need to get this perfectly creamy white lasagna soup. I bet everyone will beg for seconds!
INGREDIENTS, TIPS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Mushrooms: I used brown mushrooms, but you can choose any type you are familiar with, like cremini, portobello or shiitake. Or use a mix. Not a fan of mushrooms? Leave them out!
- Italian Sausage: I used mild Italian sausage, but you can use spicy sausage, or if you can’t find: ground pork sausage or chicken sausage.
- Flour: To thicken the soup.
- Chicken Broth: Use store-bought or make your own. Swap chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Heavy Cream: Swap for half-and-half or cream with 20% fat.
- Lasagna Sheets: You’ll want to break up the noodles into smaller pieces.
- Cheese: I used grated mild cheddar and parmesan. You could use only Parmesan or swap cheddar for mozzarella, but I loved both to enhance the flavor even more. Best when freshly grated.
- Oil and Butter: For frying the mushrooms.
- Shallot, Garlic, Celery Stalk and Carrot: This mixture is also known as soffritto, a must for sauces or soups as an essential flavor base.
- Seasoning: Salt, black pepper, chili flakes and Italian seasoning.
Make this lasagna soup your own!
- Add more veggies, like spinach or zucchini.
- Swap Italian sausage for ground pork or chicken sausage.
- Make this soup vegetarian!
- Make ahead: If making the soup ahead, don’t add the noodles but boil them separately when ready to eat.
- Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
TRY THESE NEXT
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 9 ounces/250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp each: salt, black pepper
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 pound/450 g mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups/1 L chicken broth
- 2 cups/500 ml heavy cream
- ¼ cup/30 g grated Parmesan
- 8-10 lasagna sheets, broken into smaller pieces
- 2 ounces/50 g grated cheddar
- Get your prep done before you start cooking. Remove casings from sausages and cut into smaller pieces. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Finely chop the celery stalk, carrot and the shallot. Mince the garlic cloves.
- Heat oil over high in a large pot. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture. Add butter, stir until melted. Then add garlic, shallot, celery and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in chili flakes, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add Italian sausage and cook until it starts to brown. Add flour and stir until incorporated. Pour in chicken broth and cream, add Parmesan and bring the soup to a boil. Add broken lasagna noodles, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grate the cheddar cheese and add when the noodles are ready. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt. Finish off with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately, enjoy!
Calories Per Serving: 511 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.