Thai style juicy chicken meatballs in a coconut curry sauce. This one-pot dish is incredibly delicious. The meatballs are tender, herby with a garlic note. Coated with a rich, spicy coconut curry sauce and topped with fresh cilantro and roasted cashew nuts.
It’s super easy to make. We cook the meatballs, add the sauce and cook everything in one pot to create a super flavorful meal. Enjoy served with naan, noodles, rice or cauliflower rice. Let me walk you through making these Thai chicken meatballs, step by step in this video.
– you can use chicken thighs and ground them in your food processor to make the meatballs from scratch. If you don’t have a food processor, you can ask your butcher to grind chicken thighs for your meatballs, or just buy ground chicken
– you can add broccoli, spinach, or cauliflower, and cook together with the sauce
– swap the cashews for peanuts
– make it as spicy as you can handle
- 500 g (1.1 pounds) ground chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp each: crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 lemon grass
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sambal
- 1 can (400 ml/14 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- salt + black pepper
- sesame oil, for serving
- chili peppers, for serving, optional
- rice, for serving
- black sesame and cashews, for sprinkling
Add ground chicken to a bowl. Add corn starch, egg yolk, cilantro, chili flakes, scallions, garlic powder, white pepper and soy sauce. Mix until just combined. Coat your hands with olive oil. Roll the chicken into 2 tablespoon-size balls.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add coconut oil. Add the meatballs and sear until crisp, about 5 minutes, turning them 2-3 times.
Add garlic, ginger and shallot. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the red curry paste and turmeric. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, soy sauce, sambal, honey, lemon grass and white pepper. Simmer over medium heat until the meatballs are cooked through, 15 minutes. Stir in the scallions.
Meanwhile, cook rice or noodles in salted water, according to package directions.
Divide rice among bowls, top with meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, toasted cashews and scallions. Add some chili peppers if you like the extra heat. Drizzle with some sesame oil. Enjoy!
Let me walk you through making these Thai chicken meatballs, step by step in this video.
And …IF YOU LOVE THESE RECIPES … please consider supporting my work for just the cost of a cup of coffee.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment don’t forget to tag me in your picture on Instagram with @anna_s_table or mention with #servingdumplings. I’d love to see what you’re making. Happy cooking!