Cheesy polenta topped with a creamy garlic-loaded miso mushroom gravy. So savory, you might even forget that this dish is meatless. Swirled with sun-dried tomatoes and topped with crispy sage leaves. It’s the ultimate dinner for vegetarians and omnivores alike. This is a 20 minute dish that will absolutely blow your mind.
A smooth and comforting bowl of polenta that picks up its creaminess from the grated Parmesan and cooks up in just minutes. The sauce is loaded with herbs and those critical umami bombs like garlic and miso. It’s full of bite-sized pieces of mushrooms, that soak up the sauce and create a satisfying texture. And yeah! There’re also sun-dried tomatoes that we stir in at the very end of cooking. Their sweet & sour savory flavor rounds out the sauce and gives it an extraordinary depth of flavor.
Most importantly, this creamy mushroom sauce is suitable for making ahead, then you’ll only need to make the polenta. Done!
Not much more to say about this beautiful mess, other than the fact that it’s seriously delicious and it embodies everything dreams are made of. You can even serve these mushrooms over buttery mashed potatoes or with steak. Imagine this!
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
Other mushroom dishes you’ll love
- Creamy Parmesan polenta with beer sautéed mushrooms
- Creamy Risotto with Balsamic Mushrooms
- Hearty mushroom bolognese with zoodles
Polenta with Creamy Miso Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
creamy miso mushrooms
- 500 g/5 cups brown mushrooms, bigger pieces cut in half
- 150 g/1 ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 300 ml/1 ¼ cup cooking cream
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp each: dried thyme + sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- black pepper, to taste
- fried sage leaves + red chili flakes, for serving
- 250 g/1 ½ cup instant polenta
- 400 ml (1 3/4 cup) milk
- 350 ml/1 ½ cup water
- 100 g/1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- sea salt + black pepper
- Start with making the mushroom sauce. Heat the skillet over high heat. Add the mushrooms and fry for 5-7 minutes. The mushrooms will start to release moisture, after this, add olive oil, garlic and shallot. Lower the heat and cook for 1-2 minutes or until soft and fragrant, stirring occasionally. When mushrooms start to brown, add sage, thyme, soy sauce and mirin. Next stir in miso.
- Season with pepper and add sun-dried tomatoes. Stir and scrape up any brown bits at the bottom of the skillet. Add the cream and chopped parsley, stir to combine. Bring the mushroom mixture up to a boil. Then lower the heat to the very minimum and simmer while you make the polenta.
- For the polenta. In a saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the polenta, stirring continuously, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the butter, parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper. Turn off the heat, cover and let stand for 2 minutes. If the polenta thickens too much, thin with some additional milk.
- Divide the polenta between bowls. Serve with the miso mushrooms, top with fried sage leaves and chili flakes. Enjoy!
Calories Per Serving: 602 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
What a great combination of ingredients.
Can’t wait to make this dish!!!
Thanks! Hope you love the recipe. Happy cooking!
I can already tell this is a great dish.
Will make this happen.