These crispy chicken cutlets in sweet chili sauce are what weeknight dinner dreams are made of. A sweet spicy garlic-kissed chicken recipe, comin’ in hot! A quick and easy one skillet meal, made with just a few ingredients that are BIG on flavor. You can double the sauce recipe to have enough to serve with thin rice noodles or jasmine rice. Highly recommended!
Why you’ll love this crispy chicken in sweet chili sauce
An amazing blend of sweet and spicy, plus a few carefully chosen spices team up to bring a little extra happiness into your weeknight routine. And, it’s a pantry recipe, one that you can easily stock the ingredients for (always keep some chicken fillets in the freezer, and sweet chili sauce in the fridge) and be able to make it on the fly. In other words, it’s one of the best back-pocket, weeknight-lifesaver recipes.
Plus, the presentation is funky and fancy, you could serve this as the main event of your next dinner party and not a single person will complain. It’s that good. The sauce thickens and compliments the crispy chicken, while cilantro and lime juice, add a welcome bright burst of freshness to the sweet spicy mix.
How to make sweet chili chicken
Here’s how truly easy it is to make.
This recipe calls for a few simple steps. First, we cut the chicken into cutlets. Next, coat the chicken in flour, then egg and bread crumb mixture. Finally, fry the chicken, make the sweet chili sauce… and done. Super easy!
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
- Use boneless/skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, and cut them into 2 inch/5 cm pieces.
- You can easily double the sauce recipe.
- Serve with jasmine rice or rice noodles and a cucumber salad.
- You can easily find Thai sweet chili sauce in a regular supermarket in the Asian food aisle.
How to store sweet chili chicken
- Fridge: Leftovers will keep for 2 days in the fridge. If possible, try to store the chicken separate from the sauce.
- Freezer: Cool completely, then freeze in airtight containers. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat, preferably on the stove, adding a splash of water.
Try These Next
Crispy Chicken in Sweet Chili Sauce
Crispy Chicken Cutlets
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ¾ cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- juice from ½ lime
- red pepper flakes for serving
- cilantro leaves for serving
- Slice the chicken fillets horizontally lengthwise into 2 slices. Cover with cling film and pound with a meat tenderizer if needed. Aim for ½ inch/1,5 cm thick slices.
- Place flour in a shallow dish, combine with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Place bread crumbs on a large plate. Working one at a time, dip chicken into flour, turn to coat, remove any excess flour. Next dip into the egg mixture until coated. Finally dredge in breadcrumbs, turn to coat. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a deep large skillet over medium. Working with 2 chicken cutlets at a time, place in hot oil, and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, and repeat with the remaining 2 chicken cutlets.
- Discard the oil and wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the same skillet over low. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce and sesame oil. Next pour in sweet chili sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer. Add chicken to the sauce and simmer for 1 minute.
- Finish off with lime juice, cilantro and red pepper flakes. Serve!