Cheese ramen or a Mac and Cheese? I definitely can’t choose.
Bouncy ramen noodles nestled in a creamy buttery yet light cheese broth, made from mild cheddar, some cheese spread and garlic powder. Scattered with chopped chives and drizzled with chili oil. Easy, fast, ready in 15 minutes. The cheese broth combined with the runny egg helps to coat the ramen noodles and deepen their flavor.
A quick fix for the soul. A taste of Asian-American comfort food.
- 250 g ramen noodles
- 80 g creamy cheese spread (small foil-wrapped triangles grouped together in a cardboard container, such ‘The Laughing Cow’)
- 50 g mild cheddar
- 250 ml vegetable broth or dashi broth
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder, or more if you really love that garlic taste
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cayenne pepper
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- + 2 soft-boiled eggs, chili oil, chopped chives for serving
Cook ramen noodles according to the instructions. Drain well.
In a medium sauce pot, heat the oil and butter. Add garlic powder and ginger, stir and pour the broth. Bring to a boil. Whisk in the cheese spread and cheddar. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Keep stirring until the cheese is fully melted. Season with salt and pepper to your own taste.
Divide the ramen noodles between bowls, pour the cheesy broth. Top with eggs, serve with chives and chili oil. Enjoy while it’s hot!