Shrimps, mussels and chorizo with rice in a delicate spicy fennel tomato sauce. It’s a seafood jambalaya, a wonderful summer dish!
- 12 shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 kg cleaned mussels
- 200 g chorizo, cut into pieces
- 250 g rice
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut into thin slices
- 400 g can tomatoes with juice
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 hot chilli pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion, celery, fennel and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the rice, stir and pour the broth and tomatoes. Season with thyme, cajun spices, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and add the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Then add the shrimps and mussels, simmer covered for another 20 minutes.
Serve hot with chopped parsley and chili pepper. Enjoy!!