Cheese tortellini in a tomato cream sauce. A hearty sauce and big tortellini to catch all of the flavors. Finished with lots of chopped fresh basil and grated Parmesan for a crowd-pleasing dinner. Super comforting, very delicious and ready in just 20 minutes. Serve with a big lettuce salad drizzled with a balsamic dressing.
Why You’ll Love this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Recipe
To make the sauce, we only use simple ingredients: shallot, garlic, white wine, puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, hearty chicken broth and cream. That last ingredient is what makes the sauce extra special, a generous splash is all we need to add richness to the sauce without making this dinner feel too heavy. The result is a comforting pasta dinner that will likely become a go-to on a hectic weekday.
How To Make Creamy Tomato Tortellini
This dish couldn’t be easier to make. We cook the tortelloni while we simmer the sauce, this takes only 3 minutes, and then finish off the whole skillet with fresh basil and a lot of parmesan cheese.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
This is a super versatile recipe, make it your own!
- Add crispy cooked pancetta or seared shrimp for a decadent finishing touch.
- Add veggies like spinach or broccoli rabe.
- Tortelloni is a pasta shape that is larger than tortellini, but you can easily use tortellini or ravioli instead, filled with any of your favorite fillings.
- Make it more spicy by adding extra red pepper flakes or a generous spoonful of your preferred chili sauce/paste (Calabrian chillies would be great here).
- Serve with a big lettuce salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Storage: Keep refrigerated in airtight containers for up to 3 days.
Try These Next
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Linguine with Creamy ‘Nduja Tomato Sauce
- Smoky Bacon Tomato Sauce Pasta
Cooking Video: How to Make Creamy Tomato Tortellini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each: salt, black pepper, smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, more for serving
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 60 ml/¼ cup white wine, like Pinot Grigio
- 240 ml/1 cup chicken broth (or vegetarian broth)
- 240 ml/1 cup puréed tomatoes
- 120 ml/½ cup cream 20% fat (or plant-based alternative)
- 30 g/1 oz grated Parmesan
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped basil leaves, more for serving
- 1.1 pounds/500 g fresh cheese tortelloni (I used a Parmesan filling)
- Get all the prep done before you start cooking: mince the garlic, finely chop the shallot and chop the basil leaves.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil, but don't add the tortelloni yet.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-low. Add garlic and shallot, cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir frequently. Stir in salt, black pepper, paprika and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Deglaze with white wine, stir and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and puréed tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add tortelloni to the pot with boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- Add cream, Parmesan and basil to the sauce. Add tortelloni, gently toss to coat. Finish off with freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes. Serve topped with chopped basil. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 1424mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.