Spaghetti with a spicy tomato sauce and shrimp. A delicious 20 minute weeknight dinner fancy enough to serve on a date night. This recipe is absolutely mouth-watering, incredibly easy to make and loaded with flavor. Full of garlic, red pepper, juicy cherry tomatoes and shrimp. Pure joy.
This pasta has it all! Straightforward, easy to prepare and out of this world delicious. Everything gets tossed together in a spicy tomato sauce made with tomato paste and cherry tomatoes, packed with garlic and finished with some grated Parmesan. Yup, it’s just that simple.
The shrimp help give the pasta a little depth, while the crushed red pepper flakes and sambal add just enough kick. It’s perfect. Serve with some crusty bread and a simple side salad drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
- for a hearty vegetarian version of this pasta, use mushrooms or eggplant instead of shrimp
- you can add a variety of seafood you’d like, mussels would be great, or clams, or even chunks of white fish
- spaghetti is my pasta of choice here, but again you can really use whatever pasta you’d like or have on hand
- you can add a little dry white wine to the sauce
- it’s perfectly okay to use frozen shrimp, I did, they can be thawed super fast by placing them under cold running water
More shrimp, please!
- Cheese Polenta with Chorizo and Shrimp
- Garlic butter pasta with shrimp
- Garlic Butter Sautéed Shrimp with Spinach
- 180 g (6.4 oz) spaghetti
- 300 g (10.6 oz) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 250 g (8.8 oz) cherry tomatoes
- 100 g (5.5 oz) tomato paste
- 50 g (1.7 oz) grated parmesan, more for serving
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sambal
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp with 1 tsp salt, black pepper and sweet paprika. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, toss and set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling, generously salted water. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Place the shrimp in a single layer, sear for 1 minute. Flip and sear the other side, 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, lower the heat and melt the butter. Add garlic and shallot, cook until fragrant for about 2 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes, cook about 3 minutes or until the tomatoes start to burst. Press on the back of the tomatoes with a fork to release their juices and stir to combine.
- Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes and the remaining salt, black pepper and sweet paprika. Deglaze with 1/4 cup cooking water, and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to release the brown bits. Add sambal, cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss with spaghetti and add 1/4 cup cooking water. Add parmesan and transfer shrimp back to the skillet. Add parsley, stir until smooth and glossy. Add more cooking water if needed.
- Divide spaghetti among bowls, serve with extra Parmesan. Enjoy!
Calories Per Serving: 445 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.