Spicy Shrimp Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce. Seared shrimp and rigatoni tossed with a super-quick spicy tomato cream sauce. Jazzed up with garlic, shallot, sun-dried tomatoes and white wine. Served with oregano bread crumbs and feta. Seriously, what’s not to like? It’s finger-licking good.
Shrimp pasta feels like such a treat. White wine and cream add sophistication and richness to the spicy tomato sauce. The crispy oregano bread crumbs and salty feta are a must. They’re the finishing touch, the icing on the cake. With just a few ingredients combined together, this is a weeknight dinner at its best, for sure. The sauce gets a nice spicy kick from the red pepper chili flakes, but you can make it extra spicy if you can handle the heat!
This is a tomato-based sauce with shrimp that’s great served over pasta, although the shrimp can be served up in a skillet and eaten with chunks of crusty bread.
Not a fan of feta? Use parmesan or burrata.
It’s a ridiculously easy recipe which makes it a perfect choice for a weeknight dinner. The recipe pretty much involves only a few steps. First, we make the bread crumbs, then we sear the shrimps. Next, we make the tomato sauce by sautéing the garlic, adding cream, red pepper flakes and sun-dried tomatoes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta. Drain. Finally, combine everything together. Done!
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
Favorite shrimp recipes
- Spicy shrimp tacos with miso aioli slaw
- Sichuan shrimp stir fry with onions
- Garlic butter pasta with shrimp
Spicy Shrimp Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce
- 400 g/14 oz rigatoni
- 450 g/1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 can 400 ml/14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup/200 ml low fat cream
- 120 g/4.5 oz semi sun-dried tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup/120 ml dry white whine
- oil drained from sun-dried tomatoes jar
- 1 tsp chili flakes more to taste
- 1/2 tsp each: dried oregano thyme, smoked paprika
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- crumbled feta for serving
- salt + black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving the 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 3 tbsp oil reserved from sun-dried tomatoes. Once hot, add panko, cook, stirring for 4 minutes until toasted and golden. Add oregano and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from the skillet to a plate.
- Add 3 tbsp oil to the same skillet. Add shrimp, arrange in a single layer. Fry on high heat. Flip the shrimp over after 2 minutes and sear the other side until pink. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, add garlic and shallot, sauté for 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from skillet bottom. Add white wine, cook over high heat until reduced and no raw alcohol aroma remains, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in the cream and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, chili flakes, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp and reheat gently on medium heat, 1 minute.
- Stir with pasta and serve with lots of crispy bread crumbs, feta and extra chili flakes. Enjoy!
- NOTE: If the sauce is too thick and does not coat the pasta very well, add a splash of the pasta cooking water.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.