Scallops in a creamy white wine sauce. This 20 minute scallop recipe is the real deal, a straightforward funky dish made with pan seared scallops, white wine, cream and a handful of Parmesan. It’s easy to make, simple but utterly delicious, especially when topped with pistachios and some crispy sage leaves. Serve with a simple salad and you’ll have a quick and easy flavor-packed weekend dinner. Or serve with crusty bread for an impressive appetizer at your next dinner party. A fuss-free meal with the most indulgent result.
Why You’ll Love this Scallop Recipe
Scallops sear in minutes and are one of the easiest and most underrated meal options. Scallops are available year round and don’t require any technical know-how.
Just pull off the side muscle, if needed, pat them dry and sear for a couple of minutes. Make the sauce in the same pan. Serve! Seriously, it’s that easy.
How to Sear Scallops
Scallops are delicious and super easy to make. Here’s a quick how-to sear the perfect scallops in just about five minutes.
The most beautiful thing about scallops is that once you understand how easy they are to prepare, nothing can go wrong. The key is simple, sear them undisturbed in a heated skillet with oil and butter for about three minutes, flip and sear the other side for 1 minute. Done!
Scallops’ quick-cooking time also means that you should have everything else prepared for your sauce and meal before putting them in the pan. So have your pasta, sauce ingredients, or salad ready and waiting before you cook the scallops.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO or follow along on Youtube.
How to serve scallops?
For the perfect “anytime” dinner, pair it with:
- parmesan orzo
- your favorite pasta
- cheesy polenta
- a crisp green salad
For a luxurious appetizer, pair it with some crusty bread. A very cold glass of white wine is optional but recommended. They’re such a treat, one of the easiest, nicest meals you can eat at home.
- Swap pistachios for pine nuts or pumpkin seeds.
- As for the cream, in this recipe we use 20% fat cream, but you can also use half-and-half or heavy cream.
- If you want to cook with alcohol-free, swap white wine for chicken broth.
Keep leftovers fresh by placing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay delicious for up to 2 days.
Try These Next
Cooking Video: How to Make Scallops in Creamy White Wine Sauce
Scallops in Creamy White Wine Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 sage leaves
- 8 scallops about 300g/10 oz, side muscle removed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt + black pepper
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ cup white wine like Pinot Grigio
- ¾ cup cream 20% fat
- ½ cup/40 g grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped toasted pistachios for serving
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes for serving
- Remove the side muscles from the scallops, if needed. Pat them dry with a paper towel and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add sage leaves and fry until crispy, about 10-15 seconds. Transfer using tongs to a plate layered with paper towel.
- Add butter, stir until melted. Place the scallops in the skillet in a single layer. The first scallop should sizzle, if it doesn't, wait a few seconds to let the skillet heat before adding the rest of the scallops. Sear the scallops undisturbed for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the scallops over. Cook on the other side undisturbed for 1 minute more. The scallops should feel firm to the touch, but still slightly soft. Do not overcook the scallops, they will become tough and chewy. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to low, add garlic and shallot, cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Add white wine, stir with a wooden spoon to dissolve the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, simmer for 2 minutes. Pour in cream and bring to a boil, let simmer over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add Parmesan, stir until combined. Simmer for 1 minute. Add scallops and simmer for 30 seconds. Taste and adjust salt.
- Serve topped with pistachios, crispy sage, red pepper flakes and some extra black pepper. Enjoy!