Hasselback potato bake with feta. Soft, cheesy and a little salty. Imagine a creamy potatoes with a crispy top and lots of melted feta. Literally every bite is delicious. This Hasselback potato bake makes for a tasty side dish, perfect for any occasion.
The Hasselback potato is definitely the most impressive potato to ever call itself a side. Here, we’re pairing it with cream, Parmesan and feta for a next level potato dish. They have crispy edges with middles as soft as mashed potatoes. The added bonus? Despite their fancy appearance, they take no more time and little more effort than your average potato gratin.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
How to Easily Cut Hasselback Potatoes
Place two chop sticks, bamboo sticks or any thin piece of wood on either side of the potato. Slice straight down into the potato and stop at the chopstick. Works like magic! Slice as many times as you can while making thin cuts.
This recipe couldn’t be easier! The aromatics are easily substituted to suit your own taste.
- Potatoes: Use a good baking potato like King Edward, Russet, Yukon Golds, red potatoes or even tiny new potatoes. Make your slices as thick or as thin as you like, about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick – 0,3cm/0,6cm.
- Cream: 20% fat cream.
- Thyme: Other fresh herbs like sage, rosemary, parsley or oregano are also delicious.
- Seasoning: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder and dried onion. You can also add nutmeg, a pinch of sweet paprika or chili flakes.
- Parmesan cheese: Substitute with Manchego cheese or Gruyère.
- Feta: Our finishing touch.
- Make ahead: You can prepare this dish 1 day in advance through step 4. Once the potatoes are roasted for 40 minutes, let the dish cool down, then place in the fridge. When ready to cook, remove from the fridge and let stand for 30 minutes to reach room temperature. Sprinkle with feta, place in the oven and finish baking.
- Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- This potato bake is a great side dish to accompany almost any main dish. It’s delicious with meat or fish.
TRY THESE NEXT
- Honey Garlic Salmon and Potato Bake
- Lebanese Baked Chicken with Potatoes
- Cheesy Potato Gratin
- Buttery Hasselback potatoes
Hasselback Potato Bake with Feta
- 2.2 pounds small potatoes
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan
- 1 cups cream 20% fat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter for greasing
- 7 ounces feta
- freshly ground black pepper for sprinkling
- 8 thyme sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut thin slices in the potatoes, leaving the bottom intact. You can do this by placing one potato at a time between 2 wooden chopsticks or bamboo sticks, using them as a guide. Slice straight down, the sticks will automatically stop your knife.
- Combine Parmesan with cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried onion.
- Grease a baking dish with butter and arrange the potatoes. Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes and spread evenly. Cover with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven and discard the foil. Sprinkle with crumbled feta. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and thyme sprigs.
- Continue baking for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and golden brown. Enjoy!