Garlic tomato chicken with mozzarella. Imagine perfectly tender chicken, cherry tomato sauce, fresh basil, and lots of cheese. This utterly delicious combo is super easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes. It’s the perfect comfort food for the whole family but will easily impress the fussiest guests. Serve with pasta or some toasted ciabatta and a big side salad.
You’ll love these tender chicken fillets! And the best part? There will be plenty of sauce for a side of pasta or some ciabatta to mop up all of that goodness. This is one of those dishes you’ll totally fall in love with after the first bite.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step video.
What to serve with garlic tomato chicken and mozzarella?
- pasta like spaghetti, linguine or penne
- crispy garlic butter potatoes
- potato wedges
- green beans
- fresh salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar
- crusty bread or toasted ciabatta
- swap canned chery tomatoes for crushed tomatoes
- don’t use grated mozzarella, it’s best to use mozzarella balls since they are higher in moisture, will melt into the sauce and make it creamier
- you can slice the chicken breast fillets into cutlets, then you’ll be ready in 20 minutes
- you can make this recipe on the stovetop or finish it off in the oven for a golden brown top
TRY THESE NEXT
- Pesto Chicken with Peppers
- Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- One-Pot Chicken Stroganoff with Orzo
Garlic Tomato Chicken with Mozzarella
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 tsp salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sweet paprika
cherry tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup/60 ml white wine, like Pinot Grigio
- 1 tsp salt, black pepper, dried basil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup/120 ml chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz/400 g) cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped basil leaves
- 2 mozzarella balls, chopped
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan
- crushed red pepper flakes, for sprinkling
- Get all the prep done before you start cooking: mince the garlic, finely chop the shallot and cut mozzarella into cubes.
- Season the chicken fillets on both sides with salt pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/400 °F (if using).
- Heat oil and butter in a large (ovenproof) skillet over medium high. Add the chicken fillets and cook over medium heat, for 5 minutes per side or until fully cooked and browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on a plate. Cover with foil.
- In the same skillet, add garlic and shallot, cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Deglaze with white wine, simmer for 2 minutes, stir with a wooden spoon while scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add salt, pepper, dried basil and tomato paste. Cook, while stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth, stir to combine. Add canned cherry tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust salt, if needed. Meanwhile, chop the basil leaves.
- Next, nestle chicken between the cherry tomatoes. Add basil and mozzarella cubes. Top with black pepper, red pepper flakes and grated Parmesan. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until all flavors are well combined, the chicken is cooked through and mozzarella has slightly melted. Alternatively, slide the skillet into your oven and bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Serve!
Calories Per Serving: 337 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Can I substitute the wine for something else? I don’t drink or use alcohol..
hi, you can just leave it out and deglaze the pan with chicken broth. Enjoy the recipe!
I made this recipe for dinner tonight. It was very good. I’d definitely make it again. My hubby and my son both loved it. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Fantastic! so happy you enjoyed the recipe, thanks for making it!
Great recipe! Everyone loved it. 🙂
Yay! Love hearing that! Thank you so much for giving this recipe a try!
My sister just made this for dinner for us tonight. Delicious!! Just with the chicken, no pasta, lemon broccoli side…. Very filling.
Thanks Mona! Love hearing that!
What kind of mozzarella? Was it the lower moisture or was it fresh mozzarella in the tub of liquid?
Hi, I used mozzarella in a tub of brine. Enjoy the recipe!
Have you ever tried it with fresh cherry tomatoes? Wondering if they would cook enough and if I would need to add more liquid.
Hi, you can use fresh cherry tomatoes together with a cup of crushed tomatoes or tomato purée. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Enjoy the recipe!
Great flavours, we all enjoyed it so much, will definitely maje it again. Thank you for sharing.
Looking on your site fir other recipes.
Thank you, that’s so nice to hear. Happy cooking!
Can the recipe be frozen for later?
hi, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Enjoy the recipe!
Great, thank you.
By the way, I have made and tasted it. Very yummy! 👍
Thank you! I’m so happy to hear that!
Great, thanks. I have made it and tried it. Very yummy. 👍
Great, thanks. I have made it and tried it. Very yummy. 👍and this stupid site will not allow me to say thanks! 😬
What brand of canned cherry tomatoes do you use? I can not find canned cherry tomatoes.
Hi, I used Mutti, but you can use crushed tomatoes if you can’t find them. Enjoy the recipe!
Can I make this with shrimp?
Hi Rafidah, using shrimp is a great idea. Enjoy the recipe!