An ultra creamy tortellini soup with sausage and bell pepper. A comforting soup you can make time and time again. Loaded with Italian sausage, cheese tortellini and tender sautéed bell pepper, all tossed with an Italian seasoning and swimming in a rich tomatoey broth. Jazzed up with Parmesan and a touch of heavy cream for good measure. It’s a 30 minute meal of your dreams, you won’t believe how flavorful this pot of soup is until you try it. Be sure to serve this with a side of garlic bread for a mouthwatering result.
Why This Tortellini Soup Works
You’ll love this tortellini soup, because it’s one of the easiest and most flavorful dishes to make. The tomatoey broth is complex yet so hearty and comforting, and the cheesy tortellini add a brilliant touch and a chewy bite. This truly is a one pot wonder, just make a double batch or you’ll be sorry.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
This is How We Make Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage
We start by sautéing the bell pepper in oil and butter, then add the shallots and garlic. Next we add the sausages together with a mix of my favorite Italian spices… dried oregano, sage and smoked paprika. They add so much flavor and are key here.
Then add tomato paste, puréed tomatoes and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Once the soup has finished cooking, we stir in cream, parmesan cheese, and the cheese tortellini. Cook another few minutes and then that’s it. Super easy, but yet so delicious.
You’re going to love how versatile this soup is!
- The mild Italian sausage is the component that brings some great flavor here. You can, of course, use ground pork, beef or chicken.
- For a vegetarian version, skip the meat and use vegetable broth.
- Add more veggies, like carrots, zucchini, spinach, kale or Swiss chard
- Swap heavy cream for half-and-half or soy cream.
- Instead of puréed tomatoes, you could use canned pumpkin purée for a change, or sweet potato purée.
- As for the tortellini, for that perfect al dente toothsome texture, it’s best to add them just a few minutes before serving, as you don’t want them getting overcooked or falling apart.
- Make Ahead: If you’re planning on eating leftovers or meal prepping this soup, it’s best to cook the tortellini separately and add them to the soup whenever you’re ready to eat.
- Use tortellini with your favorite filling.
- Instead of tortellini, use ravioli or pasta like fusilli, campanelle, casarecce, gemelli or farfalle.
- Serve with a side of garlic bread or some crusty bread.
- Storage: Keep the leftovers refrigerated in air tight containers for up to 3 days.
Try These Next
- 400 g/14 oz fresh cheese tortellini
- 450 g/1 pound mild Italian sausage, no casings
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 ml/1 cup puréed tomatoes
- 1 L/4 cups chicken broth
- 250 ml/1 cup heavy cream
- 30 g/1 oz grated Parmesan
- fresh thyme, for serving
- 1 tsp each: dried oregano, dried sage, smoked paprika, black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, more for serving
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- Get all the prep done before you start cooking: mince the garlic, finely chop the shallots and thinly slice the bell pepper. Remove the casings from your sausage.
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium. Add bell pepper, sauté for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add shallots and garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sausage and spices, break up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, and cook until browned and no longer pink, 5 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add tomato paste and puréed tomatoes, cook for 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini, cook for 2 minutes. Then pour in cream and add Parmesan. Stir to combine, simmer for 1 minute. Taste and adjust salt.
- Finish off with some extra red pepper flakes, black pepper and fresh thyme. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1503mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 14g
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.