This one-skillet oven baked chicken could very well become your next favorite meal. The juicy thighs are baked together with chickpeas in a creamy sauce loaded with garlic, herbs and crushed black peppercorns.
We nestle unpeeled garlic between the chicken, so it can slowly roast in the butter sauce and become tender and sweet, adding an incredible extra flavor. Afterwards the cloves go perfectly on crusty bread and you can mop up all of that delicious sauce.
This one skillet meal is absolutely amazing. The chicken is incredibly moist and infused with the most delicious flavors. It’s fuss-free and tastes so good. A crowd-pleasing dish, a true back-pocket recipe to have in your arsenal.
You can serve it with orzo, baked potatoes or crusty bread, and a simple side salad. So let’s make the most delicious chicken dish, shall we? Hands down. It’s amazing. Pure joy.
Can you use boneless-skinless chicken thighs or breasts? Yes! Just scale the bake time back about 10 minutes, as they will cook through quicker.
You can add more veggies like spinach or cauliflower, or swap the chickpeas for butter beans. This recipe is flexible, it will still be amazing.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
More easy chicken recipes:
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 can (400 g/15 ounce) chickpeas, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1/2 cup/100 ml dry white wine
- 1/2 cup/100 ml unsalted chicken stock
- 3/4 cup/200 ml half and half, or light cream 20%
- 40 g/1.4 oz grated parmesan
- 1 tsp mild mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
- 5 thyme sprigs, or 1 tsp dried
- 10 sage leaves, or 1 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp each: smoked paprika, ground cumin, dried thyme, dried sage, chili flakes, salt, black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Combine the ingredients for the seasoning. Rub the chicken thighs with the seasoning on all sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs and sear both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet.
- Heat butter, 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper and minced garlic in the same skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and foaming, but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add white wine, cook until reduced and no raw alcohol aroma remains, about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and mustard. Bring to a boil. Add cream, stir in chickpeas and parmesan. Season with salt.
- Return chicken to the skillet. Sprinkle with thyme and sage. Trim the top off the head of garlic to expose the tops and nestle between the chicken.
- Place the skillet in the oven and roast until completely cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out 2 or 3 roasted garlic cloves and add them to the sauce, smash with a fork. Enjoy!
Calories Per Serving: 384 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.