This creamy drunken chicken with balsamic mushrooms equals next-level deliciousness. The chicken breasts are simmered in a fragrant creamy wine sauce and paired with earthy mushrooms for a tasty weeknight dinner. Easy to make, ready in about 30 minutes and you only need one skillet. If you really want to go all in, I suggest serving this dish with some bread or buttery mashed potatoes, and don’t forget to throw in a side salad.
The very best thing about this skillet dinner is the sauce. It’s super creamy with lots of garlic and a handful of salty Parmesan. Studded with mushrooms flavored with a sweet tang of balsamic vinegar for a big flavor boost.
The wine in particular adds a serious grown-up twist infusing the sauce with a rich taste, without a dominant factor. The result is a one-pan meal that brings the chicken into a whole new light, you are in for a dinner that’s pure joy.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
- For this recipe, you have the option of using half-and-half or heavy cream. I recommend skipping whole milk, as it will leave the sauce on a thin side.
- Serve the chicken over creamy polenta, buttery mashed potatoes or crusty bread and add a simple side salad.
- Cut larger chicken breasts in half lengthwise into thin, even pieces. This way the meat cooks up faster and more evenly.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They’ll stay delicious for up to 3 days. Reheat with ease using the microwave or a nonstick saucepan on the stovetop.
More chicken, please!
- Creamy Black Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
- One Skillet Parmesan Chicken and Orzo
- Creamy Red Pesto Chicken
- 4 small chicken breast fillets, (or 2 large cut in half lengthwise)
- 250 g/9 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup/150 ml dry white wine
- ¾ cup/200 ml heavy cream
- 30 g/1 oz grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt + black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley, more for serving
- Season the chicken fillets all over with sweet paprika powder, salt and pepper.Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick frying skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, for 5 minutes per side or until fully cooked and browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on a plate. Cover with foil.
- In the same skillet. Add mushrooms, cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic, sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in white wine, simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.Add the cream, stir in Parmesan and chopped parsley. Bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, creamy polenta or bread and a simple side salad drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with chopped parsley and extra black pepper. Enjoy!
Calories Per Serving: 381 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.