This creamy drunken chicken with balsamic mushrooms equals next-level deliciousness. The chicken breasts are simmered in a fragrant creamy wine sauce and paired with earthy mushrooms for a tasty weeknight dinner. Easy to make, ready in about 30 minutes and you only need one skillet. If you really want to go all in, I suggest serving this dish with some bread or buttery mashed potatoes, and don’t forget to throw in a side salad.
The very best thing about this skillet dinner is the sauce. It’s super creamy with lots of garlic and a handful of salty Parmesan. Studded with mushrooms flavored with a sweet tang of balsamic vinegar for a big flavor boost.
The wine in particular adds a serious grown-up twist infusing the sauce with a rich taste, without a dominant factor. The result is a one-pan meal that brings the chicken into a whole new light, you are in for a dinner that’s pure joy.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
- For this recipe, you have the option of using half-and-half or heavy cream. I recommend skipping whole milk, as it will leave the sauce on a thin side.
- Serve the chicken over creamy polenta, buttery mashed potatoes or crusty bread and add a simple side salad.
- Cut larger chicken breasts in half lengthwise into thin, even pieces. This way the meat cooks up faster and more evenly.
- Leftover Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They’ll stay delicious for up to 3 days. Reheat with ease using the microwave or a nonstick saucepan on the stovetop.
More chicken, please!
- Creamy Black Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
- One Skillet Parmesan Chicken and Orzo
- Creamy Red Pesto Chicken
Creamy Drunken Chicken with Mushrooms
- 4 small chicken breast fillets (or 2 large cut in half lengthwise)
- 250 g/9 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup/150 ml dry white wine
- ¾ cup/200 ml heavy cream
- 30 g/1 oz grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt + black pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley more for serving
- Season the chicken fillets all over with sweet paprika powder, salt and pepper.Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick frying skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, for 5 minutes per side or until fully cooked and browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on a plate. Cover with foil.
- In the same skillet. Add mushrooms, cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic, sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in white wine, simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.Add the cream, stir in Parmesan and chopped parsley. Bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, creamy polenta or bread and a simple side salad drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with chopped parsley and extra black pepper. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.