Chili garlic noodles. Ultra garlicky and full of flavor with a nice spicy kick… these noodles might just become your new favorite go-to meal. A mixture of savory condiments coats bowlfuls of rice noodles packed with contrasting flavors, fresh herbs and crunchy sesame seeds. This dish is quick and easy, done and dusted in 15 minutes.
Saucy, easy, super fast and made with pantry ingredients… and this is how we do it. While the noodles cook, we sweat the garlic and gently heat the chili sauce. Then, we add the noodles to the skillet, toss everything with sesame seeds, scallions and fresh cilantro. Ready!
Use any of your favorite noodles, even pappardelle or linguine will work here great. But if you want a light, delicate, slurpy noodle, use angel hair pasta, spaghetti or ramen noodles. Serve with a fresh cucumber salad and get ready for a flavor explosion. So simple, but so good.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step VIDEO.
- the chili sauce can be made in advance
- substitutions are welcome: swap scallions for chives, you can also omit the cilantro
- it can vary in spice level: for a milder sauce, use only the liquid chili oil and sweet chili sauce
- sesame seeds are here for texture, but omit them and use crushed peanuts or crispy fried onions
- it’s great as a main dish on its own, but also delicious with shrimp, chicken, shiitakes or ground pork
- about the pasta: any will work! use rice noodles, egg noodles, udon, ramen, spaghetti or pappardelle
- serve with a fresh cucumber salad drizzled with a soy based dressing
Try These Next
- Spicy Coconut Curry Ramen
- Spicy Garlic Shiitake Noodles
- Creamy Thai Red Curry Udon Noodles
- 20 minute Beef and Shiitake Noodle Stir-Fry
- Sichuan shrimp stir fry with onions
- Eggplant and Halloumi Stir-Fry
Chili Garlic Noodles
- 9 ounces rice noodles
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 garlic cloves grated
- 4 scallions chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- red pepper flakes for serving (optional)
Spicy Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp chili oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chili paste sambal oelek, sriracha or gochujang
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- Set a large pot with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add salt if using spaghetti or egg noodles.
- In the meantime, get all the prep done before you start cooking: grate the garlic, chop the scallions and cilantro.
Combine all ingredients for the chili sauce in a bowl or a jar.
- When water is boiling, add noodles, cook according package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over low. Add butter and garlic, stir until butter is melted and garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the prepared chili sauce and bring to a gently simmer.
- Add drained noodles, scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds to skillet. Toss to combine, add ½ cup cooking water and finish off with red pepper flakes. Drizzle with extra chili oil, serve!