Chicken pot pie noodles. Imagine the comfort of a chicken pot pie, but with a tasty twist – we’re using egg noodles instead of a crust! This quick and easy recipe is not only delicious but also perfect for pleasing a crowd at dinner!
Why you’ll love this chicken pot pie noodle recipe
While a traditional recipe may take some time, we’ve got a speedy alternative. Picture the same creamy, delicious filling paired with egg noodles instead of a crust – a quick, crowd-pleasing dinner loved by both adults and kids alike.
For an even swifter preparation, opt for rotisserie chicken and frozen peas and carrots. Want to add a unique touch? Consider tossing in corn kernels or mushrooms.
This chicken pot pie noodle recipe is not only easy but also pretty versatile. It uses ingredients you most likely already have in your kitchen and can be ready in just about 30 minutes, making it ideal for those hectic nights. Don’t be surprised if your family requests seconds – it’s that good!
Let me guide you through the recipe with this easy to follow step-by-step VIDEO.
Chicken pot pie ingredients
- Noodles: Choose your preferred egg noodles, whether medium or wide.
- Chicken: Opt for chicken thighs for a tender result, they cook up quickly. Rotisserie or grilled chicken works well too, or you can even utilize leftovers.
- Aromatics: Essential for flavor, include onion and garlic.
- Vegetables: Conveniently use frozen peas and carrots, and consider pre-chopped carrots.
- Seasoning: Create a simple blend with salt, black pepper, cumin and dried thyme.
- Flour: To thicken the sauce, for a gluten-free option, consider cornstarch.
- Chicken Broth: Select a good-quality broth for a flavorful base.
- Half-and-half: For a richer sauce, use heavy cream.
What are egg noodles anyway?
Egg noodles are a type of pasta that are typically made from a mixture of wheat flour, water and eggs. The addition of eggs gives these noodles a richer flavor, a distinct yellow color and a slightly softer texture compared to traditional pasta made without eggs, making them well-suited for specific dishes like soups, stroganoff and other recipes where their unique characteristics complement the overall flavor and texture of the dish.
Can I use pasta instead of egg noodles?
Absolutely! Your favorite pasta will work well here. I can recommend using bow tie or fusilli as excellent alternatives.
Can I use different vegetables?
Yes! Feel free to mix and match your favorite vegetables, using whatever you have available. Add in green beans or broccoli, or omit any veggies you’re not a fan of. The classic veggies for a chicken pot pie include carrots, green peas, celery, mushrooms or corn. It’s incredibly versatile, so get creative with your choices!
Frozen veggies and rotisserie are a great short cut.
- Using frozen veggies and rotisserie chicken is a fantastic time-saver. Grab a bag of frozen peas and carrots to streamline the process with less chopping, perfect for those busy weeknights.
- When using rotisserie chicken, cut the simmering time in half—add the chicken with the cream and simmer until heated through, saving you even more time.
How to store chicken pot pie noodles?
- Fridge: Keep in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When ready to enjoy again, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through. Interestingly, this dish often tastes even better on the second day!
- Freezer: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Be mindful that frozen, thawed noodles may become a bit soft, and the dairy in the recipe might separate, altering the sauce’s taste. Keep these points in mind when freezing.
Cooking Video: How to make chicken pot pie noodles
Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
- 10 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1.1 pounds chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- freshly ground black pepper for serving
- chili flakes for serving
- Get your prep done before you start cooking. Peel and finely dice the carrots. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Cut the chicken thighs into small pieces.
- Bring a pot with salted water to a boil.
- Heat butter over medium low in a large pan. Add onion, garlic and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken, cook for 3 minutes more. Add salt, pepper, thyme and cumin. Next stir in flour. Add green peas and pour in broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add egg noodles to the pot with boiling water. Cook until al dente according the package directions. Drain when ready.
- To the pan, add cream and simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust salt. Toss in noodles and finish off with freshly ground black pepper and chili flakes. Enjoy!