Cheesy mushroom buns with sun-dried tomatoes and bacon. Full of flavor and pure comfort, and beyond doubt a satisfying shareable crowd pleaser. A long story short, this is heaven on a bun. When jazzed up with some mozzarella and fresh sage, it’s a surefire way to kickstart the weekend. This is a brunch recipe to impress. Extra bonus? Everything is made in only one single skillet!
It’s delicious served hot or at room temperature, so you can enjoy it all morning long.
This recipe couldn’t be easier, first we cook the bacon until crisp, add the mushrooms and sauté them until they get golden caramelized edges. Then we hit it with garlic and some spices. Next we add the sun-dried tomatoes and sage leaves to elevate the flavors.
Finishing the buns couldn’t be easier, this is a recipe for piling. We start with arranging the buns in the same skillet where we prepared the mushroom filling, divide the mozzarella, then heap on a big scoop of mushroom mixture followed by more sun-dried tomatoes and sage. Bake it off in the oven, and done!
You can also serve them as a starter, at a dinner party as canapés or even as a fast weeknight dinner, with some salad on the side.
Let me guide you through the recipe with this step-by-step video.
- serve them as weekend brunch, a starter, at a dinner party, as canapés, or as a quick and easy weeknight dinner, with a big side salad
- add extra veggies like spinach or last night’s leftover veggies, or the ones sitting in the fridge that you have no idea what to do with
- leave out the bacon for a vegetarian version
- use cherry tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomatoes
- swap mozzarella for burrata
More brunch ideas, please!
- Overnight pear and ricotta croissant French toast with almonds
- Baked za’atar egg buns with spinach and feta
- Turkish style eggs with whipped ricotta and browned butter
Cheesy Mushroom Buns with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Bacon
- 3 kaiser rolls or French buns
- 150 g/5.3 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 60 g/2.1 oz sun-dried tomatoes drained, oil reserved
- 60 g/2.1 oz smoked bacon bits
- 150 g/5.3 oz grated mozzarella
- 3 tbsp oil reserved from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp each: salt black pepper, smoked paprika
- 6 fresh sage leaves chopped, extra for topping
- 2 tbsp pine nuts optional
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cut the buns in half. Gently push the center of each bun, with your finger tops, until there is a hole large enough to add the filling.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in an ovenproof skillet set over medium heat. Add bacon, cook until it starts to brown.
- Add mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes. The mushrooms will start to release moisture, after this, add the remaining oil and garlic. Lower the heat and cook for 1-2 minutes. When mushrooms start to brown, season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Stir in sage leaves and half of the sun-dried tomatoes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, arrange the buns. Divide mozzarella, add mushroom mixture and top with the remaining sun-dried tomatoes. Finish off with extra sage leaves, pine nuts and red pepper flakes.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the mozzarella is melted. Serve!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE RECIPE PDF